Grilled Hoisin Beef � Not Necessarily Mongolian

While this grilled hoisin beef features a very similar marinade to the one in our Mongolian pork chop video, I decided against calling it, "Mongolian beef," since I realized I�m not exactly sure what that is. Same goes for the chop, but since Mustard�s Grill coined the name, we're Grandfathered in.

Hoisin sauce is an underrated, and possibly underused ingredient. That's probably due to the fact that people aren�t exactly sure what it is. Far as I can tell, it's a thickened, fermented soy-sauce-like substance, flavored with chilies, garlic, vinegar, sugar, and, of course, exotic spices. That�s really all I feel like I need to know, but if you happen to do some more research, and find out something interesting, please pass it along.

Like I said in the video, besides a decent marinade recipe, I hope this serves as a reminder for just how great a cut of beef skirt steak is. Unless you horribly overcook it, it�s always juicy, and tender, as long as you slice it across the grain. So, whether you serve it with coconut rice or not, I really hope you give this grilled hoisin beef a try soon. Enjoy!


Makes two portions:
* as with all marinades, feel free to add more of everything!
1 beef skirt steak, about a pound
1/3 cup hoisin sauce
3 tablespoons Chinese vinegar, or sherry vinegar
1 tablespoon soy sauce
2 teaspoons hot sauce
2 teaspoons sesame oil
1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
4 cloves finely minced garlic
1 packed tablespoon brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1 green onion, light parts, minced
toasted sesame seeds

Comments

Popular Posts