Frozen Vanilla Custard � Western NY for French Vanilla Ice Cream

If you�re thinking that I�ve already posted a video recipe for vanilla ice cream, I have, but for what I consider a �real� vanilla ice cream, which means no eggs. That�s called an American-style ice cream, and features a cleaner, more pronounced vanilla flavor.

The French weren�t into that. They froze their famously delicious custard, and the rest is history. While I prefer the later, I have to admit they won, since it is the style that dominates the freezer case.

I like to use pure vanilla extract over the whole bean, mostly because it�s easier, cheaper, and always consistent. Having said that, it�s hard to argue against the whole bean, so feel free to go full foodie. Speaking of which, if you don�t have an ice cream maker, there are plenty of �hacks� online that work fairly well.

I would have called this French vanilla ice cream, but where I grew up, this is called frozen custard. It�s traditionally served soft, in cones, but I prefer to freeze it firm. That way, I get French vanilla ice cream, and as it melts, I also get soft-serve frozen custard. Now that�s a win-win. Anyway, stay tuned for homemade cones, and in the meantime, I really hope you give this a try. Enjoy!


Ingredients for 1 quart of Frozen Vanilla Custard aka French Vanilla Ice Cream
5 large egg yolks
pinch of salt
2/3 cup white sugar
1 cup whole milk
2 cups heavy cream
2 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract (or one split/scraped whole vanilla bean)

Comments

Popular Posts